Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Closing In (Poem)

Closing In

     after Lisa Hess Hesselgrave's 'Hot Sky'

The wild closes in
the moment the sun
idles in its profusion

of mauves and reds.
With the blush of air,
I harbor blue to slow

the progress of time
that thickens roots
and deepens the char

of lost afternoons.
I trip over the orange
that tricks the moon

to appear a too-soon
omen of blurred visions
to come, tongue lolling

in heat-fed sleep. Dark
carries its own night
dreams. How I see

the sea become a field
of frost-licked snow,
sky the arms holding it

back from my mouth
athirst in fear. I mean
to find my own way out.

© 2014 Maureen E. Doallas
_________________________

This ekphrastic poem, inspired by Lisa Hess Hesselgrave's painting Hot Sky (found in the section of Hesselgrave's Website titled Night and Day) was first published at TweetSpeakPoetry as part of the Image-ine series.

Lisa Hess Hesselgrave on FaceBook

1 comment:

Peggy Rosenthal said...

I love how you "translate" the painting into an inner drama. It's a scary drama… but the final sentence gives hope, conveys your confidence at finding your "own way out."