Friday, September 25, 2009

All Art Friday

Today, I'm inaugurating "All Art Friday", a feature that will offer periodically a list of not-to-be-missed art-related items.

Ever wonder what inspires poets? Take a peek at Glynn Young's new poem, "Edward Hopper's Room in New York (1932)" posted this morning on Glynn's Faith, Fiction, Friends blog. Glynn recently found a poet's voice hiding beneath the voice he's been using for years in his professional corporate writing. Glynn, so glad you can - and do - sing a different tune now!

Art heals. If you find yourself in Charlotte, N.C., between September 25 and October 23, take a detour to an exhibition of art by war-traumatized children. Andrew Briggs, founder of Freedom in Creation, is responsible for bringing the show to Charlotte. Click here for a feature article about the children's work, "Queen's Exhibit Chronicles Art Therapy Program for African Children."

Have a confession to make? Washington, D.C.- and Bogota-based artist Carolina Mayorga will be making an appearance for one night only, on October 2, at the headquarters of Washington Project for the Arts (2023 Massachusetts Ave., N.W. Washington, D.C.). During the opening reception for "The Miraculous Artist", an interactive installation comprising video, performance, live music, and printed matter, Mayorga will be happy to hear your confessions for free, offer advice, and, for a small fee, send you home with a set of laminated cards offering "solutions" to your individual problems. "The Miraculous Artist" will close October 30.

Got money to burn? Philadelphia's Fuller's Fine Art Auctions is auctioning art and collectibles from the estate of Betty Gordon. Gordon's collector's eye ranged widely: Slated to go under the gavel on October 3 are 19th C. and 20th C. works by, among others, Picasso, R.C. Gorman, and Joan Mitchell, as well as folk art.

Make art part of your visit to D.C. in 2010. The Renwick Gallery, one of Washington's gems, has announced that its 2010 schedule of exhibitions will include "The Art of Gaman: Arts and Crafts from the Japanese-American Internment Camps, 1942-1946". The Japanese word Gaman means to "bear the seemingly unbearable with dignity and patience." Guest curator and organizer for the show, which will open on March 5, 2010, and close on January 30, 2011, is San Franciscan Delphine Hirasuna, author of The Art of Gaman. Featuring more than 100 objects, including toys, games, musical instruments, and ornamental displays crafted from scraps and found materials, this exhibition promises to be both interesting and instructive. Added benefit: After you leave the Renwick, you can walk across the street to the White House and say hello to President Obama.

Blogging is an art, too. I've discovered so many wonderful writers on the Web. Here are just four you should know about: Laura (a.k.a. L.L.) Barkat, Kelly Langner Sauer, Glynn, and Diane Walker. And writing blogs is not all they do!

Orchids, koi, and peacocks. That's what you'll find on my Website Transformational Threads, noted in my profile to the right. Over the next quarter, I'll be posting interviews with the artists whose work I've licensed. Their life stories are fascinating, their art deserving of wider attention. Seeing their original work in oils, acrylics, watercolors, and silk re-created in custom hand-embroidery called "thread paintings" is a delight.

3 comments:

Glynn said...

Maureen, thanks for the link(s). I've been amazed at the online friends I'm finding, the wonderful writing and the ways we find to collborate online.

In Chciago last year, my wife and I saw a "two-fer" exhibit at the Art Institute - companion shows for Winslow Homer and virtually everything Edward Hopper ever painted. I wandered around the thick crowds, dazed by Hopper's work. Every so often I pull out the exhnibit catalog I bought. The other night, I did just that, looked at the print of "Room in New York," started thinking, and then the poem started in my head.

Thanks again for the links.

L.L. Barkat said...

I love that you love art. Since I'm on "art pilgrimage," this seems a timely and wondrous meeting, you and I.

Maureen said...

L.L., I had the great luck of growing up in the D.C. area, though to tell the truth, when I was a child, D.C. could rightly have been called "provincial". Wonderfully, the Kennedy Center came, Wolf Trap (where I once worked summers), scores upon scores of theatre groups, and many fabulous artists. I'll be writing about one my husband and I met last fall on a Rappahannock art-studio crawl; the artist, who literally lives at the top of a mountain, built her own house, with four live trees part of the foundation. She's a sculptor and a potter. Last Thanksgiving, in Charleston, we spent an entire afternoon at an artist-dealer's home and came home with some great finds. In my 20s, after college, I used to spend some part of almost every Saturday afternoon talking art with a gallery owner who became a friend and started me on collecting. Music and ballet also are important to me. I couldn't imagine a life without art - of all kinds.